Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Music Meme

Meme from Mel

1) A favorite political track: The Taliban by Toby Keith

Not something I would generally look for, but heard it on The Bob & Tom Show and LOVED IT! He and Scotty Emerick have written some really funny shit.

2) One of those tracks that make you dance on the dance floor no matter what: Didn't Mean To Turn You On by Robert Palmer

This was the first song that I danced to where the girl asked me to dance. She was gorgeous, and I was in shock. One of the guys I was at the club with asked me to teach him how to dance after that. I basically told him to fuck off. I felt like a god for a few minutes.

3) The song you’d use to tell someone you love them: Count On Me (Somebody) by Tonic

I probably wouldn't use this song, but I connected with it when I was dating someone a few years ago.

4) A song that has made you sit down and analyze it’s lyrics: Drops of Jupiter by Train

It has funny and quirky lyrics, but I liked the message that is basically the same as "If you love someone, set them free". Well, that's my interpretation anyway

5) A song that you like, that a two year old would like as well: Rock Lobster by The B-52's

Sorry, but I was not going to research kids songs. I had enough of those when Kevin was a baby. Once I pronounced Barney dead I brain-washed him into loving The Beatles.

6) A song that gives you an energy boost: Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots

Probably not as energetic as most people would pick, but I love the whole vibe of this song. This is one of those that I crank in the car and make a fool of myself by really getting into singing to it and air drumming

7) A song that you and your grandparents (would probably) like: Recipe For Love by Harry Connick, Jr.

Harry is a classic. I love his upbeat stuff. My grandparents were all dead by the time I was 10, so I had no idea what they liked. My dad was as old as most of my friends grandparents.

8) A song that you really liked when you were 14-16, and still really like now: Next To You by The Police

One of my all time favorite songs from one of the greatest bands ever. My first concert was seeing The Police my junior year in high school (The Go Go's opened). I saw them again when I was in college. When I heard that The Police had broke up I thought it was going to be the end of good music as we know it.

9) A sad song that would be in the soundtrack of the movie about your life: Why Does It Always Rain On Me by Travis

A cool, depressing, haunting song

10) A peppy song that would start the opening credits of the movie about your life: Spy In The House Of Love by Was (Not Was)

Love "The Was". Such a bizarre and talented band. They ranged from some serious funky stuff to the odd "Captain Beefheart"-ish tunes.

11) A good song from a genre of music that no one would guess that you liked: Tuxedo Junction by Glenn Miller

I know my parents loved big band/swing. I though it was so cool to hear Dad cheer out loud during one of my jazz band performances when we featured a bunch of big band music.

12) A song that you think should have been playing when you were born: Brother by Toad The Wet Sprocket

Not that this song was around then, but it seems to fit. I think I need to track down what the guys from Toad are doing now and get their lastest stash.

13) A favorite artist duo collaboration: Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder

I have always been a fan of both Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder. When they did this back in the early 80s I was totally jazzed by it. Say, Say, Say (w/ MJ) on the other hand I could not stand.

14) The song that you like despite the fact your IQ level drops several points every time you listen to it: He's My Best Friend by Jellyfish

To put it simply, this song is about a guy and his right hand. You do the math.

15) Your smooth song, for relaxing: Giving You The Best That I Got by Anita Baker

Anita is the epitome of classy R&B

16) A song you would send to someone you hate or are mad at: She Hates Me by Puddle of Mudd

What a sweet little ditty

17) A song that reminds you of a past break-up: If You're Gone by Matchbox 20

Actually the whole Mad Season album reminds me of my divorce.

18) A favorite track from an outfit considered a super-group: Big Machine by Goo Goo Dolls

This was tough. I don't like a lot of "Super Groups". I think The Goo Goo Dolls should be considered one.

19) A song that makes you reminisce about good times with a family member: Hey Julie by Fountains of Wayne

I did not know my sister Paula liked Fountains of Wayne, but during her memorial service we took her iPod, plugged it in to a boom box and just set it to random. My sister was the coolest, and when I heard this song playing I knew that her influence was all threw my musical tastes.

20) Your favorite song at this moment in time: Dirty Little Secret by All-American Rejects

I found this in someone's profile on MySpace and immediately dug it. I went right out and bought both All-American Rejects CDs.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Thank Jon - :)
And you think I have issues! Hhehe... I love Dirty Little Secret, sending it to my best friend as we speak...:)

jayeofmanyhats said...

I love this, and as you can see by my BLOG I am a big music fan...I am gonna haveta do this on my blog later.