Saturday, March 25, 2006

...and the fun begins

My family is all in Colorado to help with the mom move. Yes it seems like overkill, but we know this is a big move for mom, and want to help in every way possible. Too bad the truck rental company isn't being as helpful.

I had origiinally reserved a 16 foot truck, because that's what I figured it would take. She has donated a ton of stuff including her couch and recliner. So the big stuff that remains didn't warrant a larger truck. BUT... then it ends up that both of my brothers and I are driving it to Michigan. The 16 fotter doesn't have 3 person seating. So we changed the reservation to a 22 foot truck a few days ago. They said they'll get one down here from Denver.

All was going well except works been kind of kicking my ass. Yesterday I started getting a flurry of calls from family members to do this or that in preparation for the load out. My brother-in-law John called to ask me to get moving blankets with the truck. I thought that this was something that would be easily available when I picked up the truck, but I decided to call and make sure they had enough.

When the lady answered the phone and I told her who I was, she told me that my truck was in and was wondering when I would be in to pick it up. I told her 9 a.m. tomorrow just like I had asked. She seemed to think I was getting it Friday night. She was ok with that.

This morning at 8 a.m. while I was in the shower I got a voicemail saying that my truck was NOT in, but they had a 26 footer that they would give me at the same price. I told her what the lady said the night before. She said she would check on it and get back to me. She has not called back.

What the hell am I going to do with 10 feet of additional truck? Fuck! I could put my car in there with room to spare. My brother Mike is totally pissed and wants me to tell them to go to hell and rent from UHaul, but I don't want to get a last minute truck that is sure to be the biggest piece of shit they've got.

I'll see you Michiganders in a few days.

I will probably not be posting until I get back, but I am taking my laptop, so I may find time to read and comment. I hope you all have a good week.

9 comments:

terry said...

maybe you could set up a bed in there, and you could all rotate taking naps?? because i'm SURE that would be REALLY comfortable.
hahahahaha.

good luck, and drive safely!

grits said...

sounds like a blast! drive safely!

Deb said...

A truck or a BUS? 22 foot truck? Are you serious?

Ailyn said...

good luck with the move!

Jon said...

We ended up having to drive a 26' truck. OMFG!!!

There was plenty of room for me and my bros. It was fun getting here, but it's been pretty intense getting everything setup here including problems with car insurance and oxygen service.

I am going to need to drink heavily when I meet up with the MI bloggers.

SignGurl said...

Jon, you are in luck because I just made 96 Jello shots!

See you tomorrow night.

Madame X said...

I am sorry I missed talking to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought 26 ft you needed a truck license to drive, apparently not?

Must have been FUN (not) trying to drive that thing in traffic....

Somebody get to sleep in the back?

Jon said...

Well yes, you need a license to drive any truck. hehehe

No special license needed, just a good set of nerves.

We did not set up the futon in back for sleeping. We were afraid of fumes and then there is the darkness factor.