Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Busier than a...

I can't believe it's already been a week since my last post. It doesn't seem right.

There are so many things going on. It's almost dizzying.

The boys were great last week. No major dramas or traumas. We had Erik's parent/teacher conference. He is doing VERY well. After all the struggles last year with his reading and needing a tutor, this year he is reading better that the majority of his class and retaining extremely well. The teacher had nothing but great things to say about him. She even noticed that Erik is really responsible when it comes to taking his asthma medicine before gym class. That actually surprised me since he isn't as diligent about it when we are home.

Kevin has had some difficulty this year with keeping his grades up. My neighbor, Robin, works for the school district. She invited Kevin to go with the high school kids to go snowboarding at Winterpark over the weekend. The invite came quite a while ago, and Irene told him if he has any grades lower than a B he couldn't go. I thought for sure that meant he wasn't going, but miraculously he's been able to get his grades up. They went on Saturday. One of his teachers reported that he was at a C+/B- range, so my ex thought that was good enough.

We've been busy packing up mom's belongings for her move to Michigan the weekend of the 25th. This move has turned into another big family event. My brother Billy is flying in from Connecticut, my sister Patti is coming in from the Lansing, MI area, and my brother in law John and neice Katie are flying in from Ann Arbor, MI. The "current" plan is that after the closing we will load up the rental truck. Billy and I will be taking it across country. Then everyone else is flying to Michigan to meet us for the unpacking. My brother Mike (he lives here) will fly there as well.

Mom is moving into a senior apartment complex that is a converted library, I think. It's going to be hard not having mom near by. Other then when I was in Phoenix for college, I haven't ever been more than 45 miles away. I am certainly no momma's boy, but this is feeling like a major life changing event for me. I don't quite understand it.

I am going to take some extra time and stay in Michigan until April 1st. Not everyone is going to stay and help completely unpack mom, so that will keep me busy. Plus, this is falling on the same timeframe as a Michigan Bloggers gathering. I am going to meet up with Roxi and her boyfriend, Signgirl

On another fun note, I went on a date the other night. This is the first real date I have had since January. It went very well. She is a very sweet, intelligent and funny lady. We have a lot in common. She's a geek, so conversations about work are understood by both of us. It's nice not to have to explain all of what I do, or to have to edit what I say so that it doesn't cause that "OMG you are boring me" look. We've already made plans to see each other more.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Happy the date went well, Jon. :)

Madame X said...

The date went well?!?!

Great!

And I am sooo jealous that you get to mee the MI bloggers!

You have a brother in CT?

hmmmm maybe I'll have to organise a New England Blogger get together and you can visit your brother/ join us!!

Jon said...

Mel - Thanks hun. It's been a long time coming.

X - There is a possible plan for my family to have a reunion in Maine sometime in July or August. I doubt I'll have time to swing by. But for you I would try ;)

Deb said...

Hey Jon! :)

I totally understand the feeling of 'change' if you move away from mom. I'm a huge mama's girl. Seriously---so if I were to move out of state or far away from her, I would feel like something was missing for sure.

Glad to hear about your wonderful time on your date. It's always good to be in the company of someone who understands you---and especially interested in what you have to say. I hope it works out for you!

Hope you're doing great! :)

terry said...

you make it sound like january was so long ago....
i can't even remember when my last date was. (i mean, REAL date.)

glad the date went well! yay, jon!

echotig said...

Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest!

Busier than the thirteenth puppy of a 12 teated dog.

Busier than ants.

Busier than a teen age boy heading for third base.