Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Raise a glass of Vernor's...

February 25th would have been Paula's 54th birthday. It has become a tradition since many years before her passing to celebrate that day with a gathering of her friends, eating Dim Sum and drinking Vernor's Ginger Ale. For those uninformed, Vernor's is probably the tastiest ginger ale you will ever have pass through your lips. It was Paula's favorite.

I notice a month or so ago that Safeway had a spot for Vernor's on it's shelf, but there was no 12 packs to be found. I don't like buying 2 liter bottles. It's a pet peeve. I started thinking about Paula.

Last year my brother-in-law, on his blog that is dedicated to Paula, extended an invitation to friends and family to join in the continuing celebration. Paula had only been gone for a couple months. I guess the gathering last year was great. I had checked the blog a few days before her birthday and there was nothing mentioned.

That same day I was back at the store and there it was, Vernor's in 12 packs... SNAG!

The boys were wondering what the big deal was, so I explained that it was aunt Paula's favorite. They tried some when we got home. They are hooked.

I did not have the boys this year on the 25th, but a friend of mine who is going through some tough relationship times wanted to get out of the house and for something to eat. I suggested Chinese food and explained the significance of the day. She was game... WOOHOO!

Food was good, not great. Company was good, but a little depressing. Her whole situation may require another post. I took her back home, then headed to mine. A glass of Vernor's had my name on it.

5 comments:

terry said...

sounds like you may have needed something a little stronger than that to drink..

what a nice way to remember your sister, though.

Deb said...

You're a special guy Jon....thoughtful and sensitive. Maybe some time needs to elapse in order for it to be a happier occasion; so everyone is comfortable with the celebration.

I hope you're well. :)

Me! said...

Jon, that's so sweet of you. Death is always hard to commemorate, and it's hard to know what to do even though you want to do something. I like the way you've decided to do something small, but something she'd look down on you and be like, "Awww".

I've never had Vernor's. But I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and I may just try some in her honor.

Chin up young man.

Sara said...

Vernor's is THE BEST! I'm from Ohio and drinking it without choking is a rite of passage. So is beating your mentor at Euchre.

bigwhitehat said...

I'm not a fan of ginger ale. I have not tried Vernor's. But, I have tried a really premium ginger ale before. It is called Circle A.

Circle A is made in the old Artesian Dr. Pepper factory in Waco. They only make a small amount. Most of it goes to Europe where they pay about $30 for an 8oz bottle. Samples at the factory are cheap but limited.

If this stuff is even close, I would drink it. Just the fact that the stuff takes years to make, makes me appreciate it.

BTW the gesture is good in a beer in the sand sort of way.