Saturday, April 01, 2006

Update from Michigan... and the MI Bloggers

It's been an interesting week to say the least.

I survived driving across the country with my brothers. That was pretty uneventful except for the fact that the 22' truck grew to a 26'. We arrived in southern Michigan in time for a big rain storm. It let up just in time for us to start unloading the truck on Tuesday. Mom's new place is nice, but a big adjustment for her. Going from living in houses for the past 50+ years to being in a 2 bedroom apartment is a big change. She was having a hard time realizing the amount of room she will be limited to. I told her she needed to leave a lot of things behind that she was not prepared to do.

We've gotten everything unpacked and put away (for the most part). It already looks livable. I'm glad I took the extra time to help get her settled.

There were of course problems. Getting the car my sister gave her insured (I hate insurance companies) and subsequent licensing of the car, setting up her oxygen service, not having Internet access except from a coffee shop down the street (that wouldn't have been so bad if there were some cute girls to look at).

Anyway, now I am in Ann Arbor for a couple days. Last night was the big Michigan bloggers meeting. I got there a bit late because of my ride (bro-in-law and niece) to A2 was late in picking me up. And of course when it comes to family picking me up I knew there had to be visit time. Luckily they had other agenda items that kept the visit to a minimum.

Mom was being a mom in that she freaks out whenever I mention meeting anyone that I have met via the Internet. This weekend was no exception.

My bro-in-law dropped me off at the hotel for the meeting. I did a quick run through the bar and didn't find the folks I was looking for. I saw a table full people in their mid to late 50s with name tags on. Having never seen half the people's faces I thought this could be them... then I though NAHHHHH! I turned a corner and there was BTExpress's white hair and SignGirl, then I recognized Barman. I knew I had found the bunch.

It was a little strange at first finally talking face to face to people I have seen and read about for months and months. Things got comfortable really quickly. Then Roxi and Dan got there and it all went downhill quickly. HA!

Once the service in the bar went bad we went up to SignGirl's room and started in with the Jell-O shots. Those went really fast. I haven't had that much Jell-O in a long fucking time. Finally around 3 a.m. It was time to break it up. Croaker was great enough to give me a ride back to my brother-in-law's house. I thought it was an easy way to get there, but after a few minutes we were both lost. Then I recognized a street name, then we were at the correct street only 6 houses away. "Oh shit, we need to take a right", and their we were.

8 comments:

terry said...

so glad you made it there in one piece... but this is really all the dirt you have on the michigan bloggers??

did they swear you to silence? are they holding you hostage?

Madame X said...

PICTURES?!?!?!!?

SignGurl said...

All I can say is, "You rock!"

barman said...

Great meeting you Jon even if you are from the state the Avalanche come from.

I am glad you had a chance to be here and that I could meet you. I hope you had a safe trip home.

Jon said...

What happens in Michigan, stays in Michigan ;) Just kidding...

Hmmm let's see... SignGirl had 2 guys and another woman in her bed. The photo evidence is with someone else. Sorry :D

Pause said...

Yes and believe it or not i actually made it back to the freeway without incident.

SignGurl said...

Actually, there were 3 men and 2 women in my bed. BTE, Croaker, Dan, Cutie and Roxi! I tried to get you there but you weren't cooperating, heh.

The stupid thing that we didn't do was get a picture with all of us together. What were we thinking?

You do amazing things with Jello shot, BTW.

BTExpress said...

I know nothing, I saw nothing ........... well, except maybe some boobs. Hee, hee..........Yep, I saw boobs. I have the pictures to prove it to. ;-)

It was a pleasure to meet you Jon.