Saturday, September 03, 2005

College bound and birthdays

My friend Ava is a bit down because her brother is moving away to England to get his MBA, possibly forever. I am sure she will have hole in her life without him near. It made me start to wonder how I am going to feel when something like this happens to me.

Being forced to move here to Colorado when I was 12 I didn't really think too much about missing my sisters. They were both out of the house by then and going to college. I don't really know how they felt when we left. Now that I am older and we have Paula I think about them all the time.

My brother Mike lives here in town. I know I would feel deserted if he was to move. Actually, he just bought a house, so I am pretty sure he is staying put for a while.

My mom on the other hand is seriously considering moving back to Michigan near my remaining sister Patti. Part of me thinks that's a good thing, part of me is going to feel horrible. I am understanding how Ava feels now. Mom asked me, Patti and Billy to look for senior places near each of us.

Patti is now without Paula in Michigan, so other than her husband and step children she is alone there. I have been looking for senior apartments for my mom here, but I don't think she can afford to live up here. I am sure we would all chip in, but I think mom wants to be near Patti. I think she is afraid to say this to me. Billy's 47th birthday is on Monday. He, Pam and Emma are getting settled in their new home in Connecticut. Although mom is originally from Maine I don't think she wants to move back to that region. Cost may be a factor, but I think she has bad memories of winters in Maine.

We are all getting together in Michigan the first week of December for a surprise birthday party for Patti. She'll be 50. Her husband is going to throw quite the bash. We're all going to chip in. I can't wait to see the look on Patti's face. I also can't wait to see everyone again.

We're going to have Christmas here in Colorado. It sounds like my brother in law John (Paula's husband is going to come out. This comes as quite a surprise since we had Christmas at his house last year weeks after Paula died. He didn't get to see much of his family for the holidays.

Katie, Paula and John's daughter, is off to college in Wisconsin, and as mom puts it she is already home sick for Ann Arbor. We're going to send her some things to help her out. She is not the kind of person that makes friends easily. I am sure this is a huge factor. Once she makes some friends they'll be friends for life. I was the same way when I went off to college, except I didn't want to go home (dad issues).

I am going to Las Vegas this coming weekend to relax and have some fun. I am meeting a friend of mine, Michelle, there. I have known Michelle for a couple years, but only through the Internet. We met through a personals web site back in 2002. We're both locked into the locations that we live so we both agree there is no real chance of a long term romantic relationship. After the whole blow out with Chantel we started talking more frequently. She is a psychologist and was trying to help me understand why Chantel was doing the things that she was. Michelle has also given me some great advice as to how to deal with it. She has been right on target 100%. She is a great person. I wish she lived closer so we would have met a long time ago.

I have met so many women on-line. Some I have gone to see and others that I only know on-line. There are a few of them that I consider very close friends. I am starting to wonder if maybe I make these friendships that are impossible to cultivate because I am afraid to commit to someone here. This break up has my head screwed up.

No comments: