Friday, September 09, 2005

Relaxed Panic

I sit here in the Colorado Springs airport waiting to go to Vegas, and I have been a bundle of nerves all morning. It started off with Kevin giving me attitude because he is jealous that I am going to Vegas without him, not that he has ever been there, but he loves to travel. I am regretting the fact that I told them.

Erik's homework that according to Irene has been checked was sitting on the kitchen table. It had the question "How many fingers and toes are there in your home?". He was supposed to show how he came up with the answer. Well... his answer was 90. Irene checked this? I asked him about it and he said she did. We got in an argument about his mother would not let him turn in a homework assignment that is that wrong.

I got to the airport with reservation on AmericaWest "serviced by Mesa Air". The web site said to check in with the servicing airline. I went to the Mesa desk and the only flights they had were to Albuquerque. I trekked my happy ass down to the other end of the ticketing area and found the AmWest desk. It was the very last one. I was starting to think they weren't here anymore.

So I got in line to get my boarding pass and I here the agent tell this guy and his daughter, "No, your reservations were for yesterday." I thought to myself, what an idiot, but after further thought I remember almost doing that myself. I then felt bad for the people.

Kevin didn't play in the football game the other day. He is starting to get an attitude about not playing. I would bet he'll want to quit soon. I am going to try to keep him on the team as long as I can even though it is a burden on me. Irene and I agree that it has been good for him so far. He has lost weight, gained a lot of muscle, and is truly concerned about keeping his grades up. Irene said to him yesterday when I was picking the kids up from her house that if he sticks with it he will be much better prepared for next year. Kids don't have the capability of that much forethought, but she is right. I also don't want him to think it's ok to quit just because you don't get to play. I would feel the same about him playing the trumpet. I wouldn't want him to quit if he wasn't first chair.

We played some of the music he is practicing for their next concert last night. The teacher was nice enough to send home trombone parts home with Kevin so that I could play along with him. He is sounding really good even with the braces on. I guess it just takes some time for your muscles to adjust.

Michelle is on the road driving to Vegas as I write. We've been texting back and forth all morning. I am getting really nervous about the weekend. I knew it would eventually hit me. We are not putting any expectations on the weekend, but I am just reminded about a previous meeting I had years ago that went very wrong.

Deep breaths.

No comments: