Monday, September 05, 2005

My lack of religion

I was asked by someone in this fabulous bloggy world after I made a comment in his blog, "Why have you never been religious? Has it just never come up or are you trying to be a spiritual Switzerland?". He was not being judgmental, just being curious.

I used to just avoid talking about religion because it made me uncomfortable because of my ignorance, but over the years I have discussed various aspects of my lack of religion. I figure here is a good place to answer Zane's questions...

My immediate family has never gone to church together. My mother and father went regularly when they were young. I went to church a few times with friends and neighbors as a kid, but very infrequently. I didn't know why we didn't go as a family. When I was about 9 or 10 I asked my mom . For me to remember all of this means that I thought very hard about it.

The reason was that my dad had been married before and divorced, and that divorced people were excommunicated from the Catholic church. Then she went on to say that since she married someone that was divorced that she was not allowed either. I didn't pry any further since I was hardly even aware that my dad had been married before (let alone that this was his 3rd marriage). I kind of wanted to get away from the subject since discussing my dad being previously married made me uncomfortable. I don't think my mom liked talking about it either. I often wondered why getting a divorce (which was very rare in those days) would cause such a severe reaction. Over the years I ran into other questions about various religions that added to my confusion.

I know I am generalizing here, but I think my main problem with religions in general is that they all think they are right and others are wrong. It made me wonder if any of them were right. The more I thought about it the less I cared for any organized religion.

Back when I was about 20 I went to church one time with my girlfriend and her family. I don't remember the denomination for sure, but I think it was Methodist. I paid attention to what the preacher was saying until he started making fun of Catholics. This irritated me, not because my affiliation with the Catholic church through family, but because he was making fun of another religion.

I have friends that belong to various religions. I asked around why this joke made any sense. One of my best friends told me how various Christian religions started out as the same, then as various doctrines were put in place people were out raged and they split off to make there own religion. My friend asked me if I believed in God, my reply, "I don't know". He explained that I am agnostic. He explained that it means that I am unsure about the existence of God. I agreed with him.

My ex-wife called me an atheist many times over the years which of course was absolutely wrong. I don't judge people because of what religion they belong, so I also don't think it is fair that I be judged because I am what Zane called spiritual Switzerland.

I appreciate the good that churches do for people. Then there is the assistance that the churches give to the needy. I have a lot of respect for my religious friends in how they get involved with the church groups. They create a feeling of community that is missing in today's society.

But the there are so many things I don't understand, like why churches need to try to recruit me? I don't mean the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Mormons that tend to be the ones that do the majority of the "recruiting". Maybe it's the fact that I live in Colorado Springs "religion central" Colorado, but there are groups that routinely come through the neighborhood trying to get people to their churches. They make judgment on me because I don't go to church.

My friend Sam told me a number of years ago that his brother-in-law is a preacher in his wife's home town in Minnesota. Sam explained that his brother-in-law had a good talk with him one day when visiting here. He stated that Sam was not a bad person because he did not go to church. He told Sam that he acted like more of a Christian than most Christians do. There are so many people that go to church, but don't follow what the church teaches them.

Is it not enough that I treat people with decency and dignity and to quote Spike Lee's powerful message, "Do the right thing"? Maybe I don't have the morals of the average church go-er, but that doesn't make me a bad person. I have made mistakes, done some immoral things, and I have even hurt people (my recent break up, for example). I know I am not perfect, but my intensions are always good.

When I was with Chantel I met her in-laws. They thought I was a nice guy, and seemed to like how I got along with their family, even Chantel's husband. I was warned that they are very religious, so there may be some tension on this subject. Well it never came up when I was around. One day when Chantel was at their house with her kids they found out that I was not a religious person. All of a sudden I was on the shit list. What gets me is that I was dating a married woman (Chantel and her husband were not divorced), but that fact wasn't an issue.

There are too many hypocrites in the world as it is. I don't want to be one of them. I am who I am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

GOD did not give us religion. Religion was created by man ,that's why there are so many different religions.Man will always find something to disagree about,religion is no different. When there is a disagreement in religion a new one is started. No GOD did not give us religion ,He gave us a relationship in Jesus Christ. Its' all about our relaionship with Christ , not religion.

Jon said...

I know what you are saying, and I knew this arguement would come up. But wouldn't it be the same that if I am uncertain of the existence of God, then wouldn't the existence of Jesus be in question?

bigwhitehat said...

Jon, I wish I could apologize for the treatment you have received. But I did not do it. I can however tell you that such behavior is inconsistent with the teachings of Christ. As for poking fun at Catholics, that has no place in worship (or in comedy). Because of these remarks, I am forwarding your post to all of the preachers that I know. I hope it will help them to behave. Religious people are just as sinful as anybody else. I would hope that you afford them the same slack you afford yourself.

Gary is both right and wrong. Yes man fashions religion to suit himself. But, God did give us religion. We just spend way to much time trying to redefine God and righteousness in total disregard to the 2’nd and 3’rd commandments. This manifest itself in our many religious beliefs that may or may not please God.

You consider yourself a good man. This must be based on something. I suggest that you have an innate sense of morality that attest to God. He does exist and you know that. You question it to justify behavior you know is wrong. But it is not any man’s place to judge you. So, I won’t. Believe me; I could be put through the wringer for what I do.

But based on a sense of right and wrong, do we not have to make some decisions? Do we not have to decide how to treat both God and man? This decision cannot be based on religion. Rather, religion has to be based on this decision. Case in point: can men board a plane and run it into a building in the name of God? The can and have. Did they serve God by doing so?

Jon, I have seen you get batted around by life. You always will. That’s life. But you don’t have to do it alone. Being religious aint bad. In fact when the going gets tough, it is very good.

Jon said...

I can appreciate what you both are saying and I agree that for so many people, being religious helps them stay on the right track. Whether God is intervening in my life when I make a decision about what is right or wrong is hard for me to phathom.

I do care what people think of me, even strangers. The thing that I see guiding me down the road is wondering how my friends and family would think of me. Some decisions I have made have been the wrong ones, but more often than not the big decisions are made from the heart. At least when I do make a mistake I learn from it.

I don't take what Gary says as a slam against me. I know that my ignorance in regard to religion, God and Jesus Christ is showing. I think all religions are flawed in that they don't like what doesn't fit within their set of rules. I repect the fact that people have this faith. I just can't be that confident. I'll just stay here, content in my Switzerland.

Life does throw me curves (sometimes they feel like fastballs to the forehead), but I don't think that they are any worse than anyone else has to deal with. I have family and friends that are very supportive of me.