Monday, September 19, 2005

The beginning of the end.. and the weekend

We had a party today for 3 people that are leaving the project and the company. It marks the beginning of the end for the project. I hate it when this stuff happens at a place that I love to work.

It starts all over again. I find a job that I really like, then everyone starts to leave or get laid off. I'll be one of the last to go because of the nature of my job, and the fact that I want the lay off package. The way things sound I will be working through next June, but who knows what changes are in store for us in the coming months.

Things are going so well with me and the kids. We're keeping the fighting and bickering to a minimum, and we're getting out and having fun together.

Friday night we went to see "The Man" with Samuel L. Jackson and Eugene Levy. It was quite funny, but way goofier than I would have preferred even for a Eugene Levy movie. It feels good to watch my my kids laugh. It gives me the reassuance that they are doing well even though I have made a mess of things there for a bit.

Saturday we spent the morning repairing bicycles. Kevin had a flat and Erik needed a gear adjustment, so I thought. We went to the local Performance Bike shop where I got Erik's and my bikes last year. They did a tune up on E's bike and found a broken gear in the shifter. The adjusted the rest of the bike (which I should have had done in the Spring). For such a major problem I got our of there for under $10 for his problems. For Kevin I bought 2 replacement tubes since he goes through them so often. I also bought him a new helmet. I have been having trouble getting him to wear one, it is usually at his mother's house (probably in the trash). I got him a nice adult model. It freaks me out that he is big enough to start wearing adult size stuff at the age of almost 13.

Later in the afternoon Kevin asked if we could go on the trail that my friend Laura took me on. It sounded like a great idea. We loaded up the bikes and headed to the west side of town. It's a pretty easy trail. It seems pretty flat, but in reality you are going uphill almost the whole time. After the first 2 hills we had to tackle Erik was getting pretty frustrated because he had to get off and walk up part of the hill. Erik having only 10 speeds had to stop for a maybe 5 hills along the way.

We took the trail north until the sun set behind the mountains. We were somewhere in the Air Force Academy grounds. Erik was looking tired so I asked him if it was time to head back. He wanted to go a little bit further. Five minutes later we hit the worst hill so far. I stop half way up and walked with Erik. When we got to the top we took a quick brake and headed back.

The ride back was very easy, as I had promised. We stopped on the way at a reservoir. The kids skipped stones in the water and waved at the train engineers that came by. I think we actually saw 4 trains during the ride. I don't remember seeing that many ever come through town. The boys got a kick out of getting the engineers to blow the horn. The first time one did it, the intense volume of it startled Erik. We were very close to the tracks for that one.

The rest of the ride back was great. Erik kept right up with us. He only had to stop at one large hill which due to a blind corner was hard to prepare for. He made it most of the way up. When he made it to the top he had a huge grin on his face. He was very proud of himself for keeping up with us. So were Kevin and I.

We ended the evening with a stop at Subway for dinner and a scoop of ice cream at the Baskin Robbins. Erik didn't think they had 31, so he counted. They actually had 32. So why do they call it 31 flavors? Are they trying to trick us?

Sunday we picked up my brother and headed to Pueblo to help my mom move some things into the garage. She is preparing to put her house on the market and wanted to get rid of some of the clutter. I wish my house had so little clutter prior to her clearing stuff out.

Mike is having a tough time due to a kidney stone. He's been getting them for the past 5 years or so. It was causing him a lot of pain right about the time we got there. It had subsided around lunch time. Just in time to help clean windows.

We hate cleaning my mom's windows. The house was built back in the 40s during WWII, so it has these single pain windows with a storm window that was added later on the outside. Getting to these storm windows really sucks. Remind me to never buy an old house.

No comments: