Tuesday, August 30, 2005

New School Year

The kids are already back to school. Their school started the first week of August. Both are enjoying the new year... so far.

Erik likes his second grade teacher and usually gets his homework done before I pick him up from his mom's house in the evening. We are working on his reading some more, but so far there have been no reports of him being behind. I sent the teacher a note explaining what we had done last year with the tutoring and asked her to let us know if he needs extra reading to get up with the rest of the classes level.

Kevin is really taking this year seriously. He is taking Entomology as an extra class. He is enjoying collecting the bugs. He has continued playing the trumpet this year. I was afraid that he was going to drop it, but I convinced him to stick with it. I also told him that I would get my trombone fixed and buy the matching book and practice with him. After paying $50 to get my instrument repared we started practicing together last week. I really need to get my lips in shape. 45 minutes of practicing at the 7th grade level and my mouth was tired. I am somewhat motivated now. I am seriously thinking about joining a community concert band.

Although I have fought it, I finally agreed to let Kevin join the football team. He joined a little late, but is attending practices 5 days a week. He has his first game sometime this week. I wonder if he'll get some time on the field.

My ex-brother-in-law/roommate has been shipped off to join the war effort. His reserve unit has been called up. They left Sunday morning for the sand box. I wanted to get up and say goodbye before he left, but I was up all night due to the drama queen. Luckily he called from the base before taking of to ask me a favor. So at least I did get to say goodbye.

He will be going back and forth (there a couple months then back here for a couple, etc) for the next year or so. He'll be back in November in time to close on the house he's having built. I had asked him to find a place once Chantel and her kids moved in. At the time I was kind of annoyed that he decided on building, but now I am glad that he is getting exactly what he wants.

No comments: