Sunday, April 29, 2007

First Vinyl

I have a few minutes to breath before the next baseball event, and before going back to work tomorrow. I need to do some venting about work, but not today (I know it completely bores you guys).

BWH has come up with another great meme. Well, I think its a great one.

This time the meme is called First Vinyl.

Just post the album cover and a description of the first time you spent money on a good old fashioned Record.

You can tell us how old you were if you want to. Just make it worth reading. And give him a link or a trackback.

It was 1979. I was 13 the summer before 9th grade. Tim, my best friend at the time had me over for the night. We pitched a tent in his back yard. His house backed up to a drainage ditch, so we explored the various gardens of the people that lived along the drainage ditch. When we got back to his house somewhere around 2 a.m. we had the radio on and I heard Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him?".

I think this was one of those times where I just knew that this was music I was going to love. I had to buy the album.

I was usually pretty good about saving my allowance. The next morning Tim and I road our bikes down to the strip mall not too far from his place and I picked up a copy. I was not disappointed. I think this was also one of the catalysts for my move to listening to a lot of New Wave in the 80s. His style was different, unpolished. I was hooked.

I think joe Jackson was my first departure from listening to the things my brothers and sisters were listening to. My brother Mike also became a big fan of Joe Jackson, but this time I was influencing him. I later found out that my sister Paula was also a fan. We can't all be wrong.

7 comments:

bigwhitehat said...

That is the coolest one yet. You had good taste.

terry said...

at least you have a cool first album purchase.

mine?

partridge family.

Jon said...

Thanks BWH... I thought yours was pretty good too, but Damn The Torpedoes would have been the Tom Petty album I bought.

Terry Terry Terry, I'll forgive you. Every girl back in the day was brainwashed with Teenbeat.

I wasn't sure I remembered correctly, but after checking with my brother it is confirmed that my first vinyl was NOT Cheech & Chong's Sleeping Beauty. He bought that one :P

Anonymous said...

Hmm I think mine was Shawn Cassidy *L* Ooo he was sooo cute

CozyMama said...

very cool.

jillie said...

Yes, Joe Jackson...what a great artist he was.

I think my first one was Pink Floyd...Dark Side of The Moon. BUT....my first 45 was by Tommy Roe "Dizzy"

LMAO

Jon said...

Chrissie... You're such a girl

Jodes... It's your turn

Jillie... Very nice choices