Thursday, August 03, 2006

Bowling and School and work

I took the kids bowling a couple times last week when the weather wasn't so great. I don't know why we don't do this more. We enjoy it so much. And now with the smoking ban in place we can bowl in clean air (OK, it still smells like a stale bowling alley, but without the smoke).

Kevin was asking about joining a junior league, so we checked into it. He took the initiative and called around to all the good alleys in town and got the scoop on the leagues for each. We found out that they have leagues for Erik's age as well. Saturday mornings are not going to be lazy, sleep-in mornings coming up.

He was also asking if it would be possible for him to get a new bowling ball. The one I bought him 4 1/2 years ago is now too small, Erik is now using it. We got on-line and bought him a new ball (yes, that is his ball on the right), bag, polisher, and I broke down and got him some shoes as well. Yes, I spent a lot of money, but he is pretty damn good, and the house balls and shoes just plain suck. He is ready!

Kevin starts school tomorrow. He is excited about the new year. He is the big 8th grader this year. Kind of scary how that creeps up on you. Erik's school (3rd grade) starts on Monday. He is not as excited. He has a teacher that supposedly gives homework every night. He had a great year last year, so I hope this year goes as well.

I am feeling a lot of anxiety about the new job that starts on Monday. I know I can do the job, it's the same thing I do everywhere I go. I just get this way every time I start a new one. I am sick of starting new jobs. I have never had a job for more than 5 years my entire career.

I need to sock away a lot of money into my retirement funds. That is something I am going to be focusing hard on this year. I am way behind where I should be on my 401k and IRAs. Time to focus.

21 comments:

Jon said...

Sugar - Sorry, no smoking in bars... There are only 2 bars that you can smoke in here in Colorado Springs. On is my brother's old bar 15C Club (sounds like he's going back to work there), and one of the bars in the Broadmoor Hotel.

Grace said...

Good luck with the new job. I'm sure everything will go really great. You're a catch... make sure they know that!

Jon said...

Grace - Thanks hun. I'm sure it will be fine. It's just a process I go through.

The Lone Rangers said...

Hey if he's gonna play the sport he may as well have good equipment!!

Good luck with the job Jon, no need to worry!!

CozyMama said...

bowling leagues are great, my oldest was in one for 3 years from the age of 5 to 8. He still would be if we got our buts in gear and got him in one. Relax about the job, you will be fine.

erika said...

I know how you feel with jobs. The longest I have is now and thats going on 5 1/2 years and I am getting bored with it.

Stacy said...

We've been trying to bowl more often this summer. Actually we're going again today. My goal was to break 200 sometime this summer, I don't think it's going to happen.

Jon said...

TLR - I agree. I wanted to make sure he was into it before throwing money at new equipment though.

Jodes - Get your son in one! Too bad we don't live in the same city, we could start a team.

Erika - I know what you mean. Some of my jobs I got bored with, but now that I am at the pay scale that I feel is fair I would like to settle into a good groove.

Stacy - Go for the 200. I broke 200 a couple years ago. I don't get back up there often, but it happens. My latest average is about 165. If I go more I am sure I can get that up. Kevin at 13 consistantly bowls around 120 using house balls. Erik (8) has mostly been playing with bumpers up until our last couple times out. He decided he is getting too big for bumpers. He bowled very well for not having that crutch anymore. Mostly in the high 80s.

Anonymous said...

Bowling is a lot of fun...
Though I've always sucked at it.

I tend to just stick to the sucking I'm good at.

hah.
Okay, enough of that.

Congrats on the new job... even though you're nervous about it. What line of work are you in?

I change jobs often as well... though it's expected in the industry I'm in (wireless).

Happy Friday, dear sir.

terry said...

school's starting already??? that's not right.

and good luck at the new job. i know you'll be great.

Suze said...

You just reminded me it's far too long since I last went bowling.

Hope everything goes well with the job on Monday. :)

Roxi said...

hey,.. bowling is fun..

and you can always come work for me!!!

Jon said...

Blondie - You said "sucked" :o
I am a Software Configuration Management Engineer (YAWN)

Terry - Ya, I know. Erik is now psyched about school since his teacher said she won't be giving homework on the weekends

Suze - You should go bowling. It is fun, even when you suck like Blondie ;)

Roxi - It is fun, especially when I get to clean my balls every game. Too bad staying out of the gutter is a good thing. Working for you would have some GREAT perks *chuckle*

Jon said...

Everyone
First day of work is done. It was REALLY intense, but good. I'll blog about it when I have time.

tm said...

Just was coming over to ask how the first day of the new job went. I see you already answered that. It is always hard to be the new guy. I hope this job ends up being the right one for you and you just love it.
Hope tomorrow goes even better than today.
xo
TME

Jon said...

TME - Thanks! It was kind of a shock when being introduced to everyone as the SCM Manager and see the look of empathy in their eyes. One of the reasons I was worried was because I knew a lot of the potential problems they were having from what I asked during the interview. It was confirmed that I have a shit load of things to fix to make this a solid software shop. Hopefully people won't be too resistant to change.

Deb said...

I can't believe how many kids are starting school tomorrow. I'm in NY and they all start after Labor Day. Such lazy asses we are, huh?

As far as the bowling gear, ALWAYS get shoes. Don't ever, ever touch those nasty ass used up shoes.

One word: Athlete's foot.

Oh, and don't think they spray all the shoes down, because they don't! My friend worked in a bowling alley and came across a few gross things. Shoes a MUST!

That bowling ball looks identical to mine.

AVA said...

Good luck on the new job. I know it sucks to start a new one, but the anxiety only lasts a couple of days, and then you'll be just fine.
I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

Stacy said...

Guess the new job's consuming. Hoping you'll be able to make the Blogger Bash.

Jon said...

Deb - Got shoes... but the place we go always sprays. I watch them.

Ava - The job is intense. The anxiety has not gone away yet, but things happened today to help.

Stacy - It is comsuming. Starting the new job the week I have the kids and them starting school has kind of blown me away. I will try to be there. I can't promise. Thanks for encouraging me.

CozyMama said...

you have been busy........how is the new job?