Friday, July 21, 2006

Grace is craving me...

OK, maybe I'm overstating things a bit.

This has been a slow week. I am not feeling like myself. The job situation is still bugging me.

I had a phone interview yesterday (Thursday) that went VERY well. I talked to a VP and an engineering director for a company in Denver. I seemed to have all the right answers and fit as far as the job requirements go. If I get the position I would have one guy "reporting to me". It is not really a management position, but I would own my portion of the software development process (meaning if something goes wrong, it's my ass). They seemed open to making some changes.

When I go into an interview I don't just see it as they are checking me out. I am also checking them out. Early on in my career I took jobs because they liked my qualification. I didn't ask too many questions about their operations. This lead to me having to learn a lot, eventually being unhappy. Now I scrutinize the companies a lot more. I have turned down jobs in the past because it sounded like they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Well, they liked me enough to now schedule a face to face interview in Denver for Monday. I am pretty excited about it. They scheduled me to be there from 11:30 to 2. Do these people not believe in taking a lunch break? Just something else to consider when making my decision.

=====================

It seems to me that there are a lot of people dropping their blogs lately. Some are switching to other blog sites while others are fed up with the drama.

Hmmm drama...

Yes, life is full of drama. I have had some people say some relatively nasty things about me this past year and a half in Blogger. This amazes me, because I think most of what I have to say is pretty mundane. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to let those negative comments just go away.

I used to play on an on-line game service (Pogo). The games were fun for the most part, but the people were fairly interesting. I met a few nice people there. I even met one of them in person. The drama there was amazing. People would flirt with each other all the time. Sounds like Blogger quite a bit, huh? The jealousy and drama was more than I could take. There were guys threatening me because I would flirt with a woman they wanted. It was so stupid. Eventually I tired of it. Most of the people were in their 30s, but they sure acted like a bunch of teenagers.

I hope this place doesn't end up like that.

My kids get back from Chicago tomorrow and MS gets back from Europe Monday. I hope that livens things up around here.

I AM SO BORED! Not even my normal hobbies have any appeal right now.

I think I'll head out to ride my bike. I hope you all are well.

7 comments:

terry said...

people have said nasty things about you???

do i need to kick someone in the shins? what the hell is that about? who could say anything nasty about you??

good luck with the interview... IF they turn out to be good enough for you, i mean...

Grace said...

Ahhh, I got my Jon fix! Thanks for posting, you've made my day.

Now, about the interviews: don't forget that the interview is the perfect time for you to impress them, but it's also a time for them to impress you. Keep your eyes and ears open for anything that may affect your final decision. I hope the interviews go awesome. Good luck hun!

Suze said...

I consider interviews to be a two way thing. Like you I have been caught out in the past by not stepping up and asking the right questions.

Good luck for Monday. :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck Monday.

Anonymous said...

...gotta turn on that moderating comments option then. Erase those babies!!!

Jon said...

Terry - you're my hero

Grace - I'm glad to oblige. Thanks for everything

Sugar - Miss you too

Suze - Thanks!

Emily - Mamtastic is a great thing

KJ - Actually some of the things that have been said were in other peoples blogs after I made comments. Stupid really. No big deal.

barman said...

Good luck on that interview.

Oh, and having met you I must say ... who is saying nasty things about you? They must be crazy. From that short get together I would have to say you are a super guy. I think you would be a hoot to be around. Oh well, their loss.

Oh and about the interview, I have seen them be conducted over lunch before. Sometimes you go out, sometimes it is catered in. A whole new thing for you to stress about. You will do fine. Just avoid the baked beans or the fried chicken. :)