Sunday, March 06, 2005

Too Bored To Think

I am out of work right now AND I AM BORED. It's only been a week. I've wanted to go on a trip, just to unwind. I don't think of myself as a work-a-holic, but I feel strange taking time off, even when I am sick. Having an entire week off (so far) is driving me a bit crazy. I may need to take a trip to see some friends, just to break up the monotinay.

On a good note I am getting lots of contacts for new work. I am guessing it will be in Denver again, but who knows, maybe there's a company in Colorado Springs willing to pony up the dough for an SCM person that knows what they are doing.

Everywhere I go I tend to spend about 2-4 weeks cleaning up problems from previous CM personnel. I get things running smoothly, make some improvements in the tools setup, or the process they follow. Then I have to get into the detailed way in which they build and deploy their software. That's when I get frustrated. These people don't realize the problems and delays they cause themselves because of bad decisions that were made long ago. I saw some real pushes to improvements to how we build and deloy certain products at Jeppesen, but then implementation of these improvements, even though were minor as far as changes in the step, were not implemented due to fear of the unknown. People, it's time to take risks or forever be stagnant.

I made some great friends at Jeppesen. I was sad to leave and they were sad to see me go, but I am a contractor/consultant. I know that they don't necessarily want me there permanently (I know I am not cheap). It's unfortunate with the amount of positive change they have planned that I could not stick around for a few more months. It would have been good to see things put in place. If any of my Jepp friends read this, I truely hope you guys make it throughy all the changes in one piece. Change is never easy, but sometimes it is mandatory. I am here if you need any guidance or have any questions.

No comments: