Sunday, March 06, 2005

More On Baseball... or should that be Moron Baseball?

I took the kids to the park today to get them warmed up for baseball season. Kevin's friend Colton came along.

We started off just throwing baseballs around. Erik decided he wanted to go play on the swings and such. Well the wind picked up a bit and I saw some trash blowing, coming near us. I started to call to Kevin to pick up help me catch the trash, and I hadn't realized he had thrown the ball at me. I turned to look at him just in time to take the perfectly thrown ball in the chin. I'm sure it'll look impressive tomorrow. It hurt like a Mother F....., but I'll survive.

I worked Kevin and Colton pretty hard playing catch, pitching, fielding, getting good throws. I positioned them in the backstop and threw balls at each of them that were not on target to get them used to reaching for the balls and then throwing it back to me accurately. They both did excellent. Colton is a year behind Kevin, and he doesn't seem to get to practice too much with his step dad (no comment from me there). Kevin is getting stronger with his throwing. He has always had a great glove. I always have a hard time getting the ball past him. That's what makes him a great catcher in my opinion. He's been working out at school in a weight training program. I can tell it is doing wonders for his strength and stamina. He has lost some weight and is looking really good.

Little League try outs are next Sunday morning. I am hoping Kevin will make it on a AAA team, but there are only so many spots available. Regardless of whether he gets that or not, he will do well. Both Kevin and Erik are really excited for baseball to start. Hell, so am I.

No comments: