Friday, May 26, 2006

What the hell is with you guys?

I had an interesting evening this past Friday. I have been dating a lady for a little while now. Ya, I know what you're going to say "Why have I not written about her?". Suffice it to say that I am now gun-shy and sceptical after what happened last year (check my Aug '05 archives if you want the gory details).

So I went out to a club Friday night with MS, and her best friend K, and K's husband D. I had not seen the new place that my brother is working. They suggested we go there. I was totally not wanting my brother to comp anything because I don't want anyone I am with to expect that sort of treatment all the time. You would be amazed how often people try to take advantage. Mike kind of avoided coming over. I think he may be a little worried for me after last year too.

A little while later this really pretty woman comes up to me and asks me if I was Mike's brother. I made some kind of joke about "if I said yes, would that be held against me". She went on and onabout how much she loves my brother. She was really bizarre. I couldn't see the 2 of them together. MS, K, and D thought they had to me seeing each other due to the way she was talking about him. I just asked my bro about it a couple hours ago. He said she is living with a guy and was just "kissing the family ass". He cracks me up.

Anyway, after we paid our tab, which was only $12 since my brother comped $30 off of a $42 tab, we headed to a club that was supposed to have a really good band playing. It turned out that the paper had it wrong. The music coming from this place was nothing like what we were expecting. K suggested we try a new club on the south end of downtown that was supposed to be doing an 80s night (so she heard). We drove over there and went in. No cover charge and the place was pretty empty. Did they forget to advertise? The blues/rock club across the street was packed.

OK, what is with this music I hear? This is certainly not 80s music. K is a very "make things happen" kind of person. Right after we grabbed a table she headed right over to the DJ booth to ask what was up. She also requested some music. No one was dancing to the stuff they were playing. I do not keep up with the "dance" music these days, so I couldn't tell you what he was playing. When K's requests came up not only did we all hit the dance floor but so did a number of other people. The I realised that besides myself and D there was only 1 other guy on the dance floor.

When we got back to the table after a few songs I took a look around. D and I noticed that he and I were 2 of just a handful of guys in the place. There was at least 4 women to every guy there. WOW! Too bad I was there with a date.

I am a big people watcher. It entertains me to know end to see how people act in situations like this. I would have loved to have been there without a date. The vast majority of the women there were very hot.

What struck me as odd was the fact that there were guys there without dates and they were just hanging out checking out the ladies instead of at least asking one to dance. Does it really take a lot of alcohol in your system to get up the courage. Thinking back on my life in situations like this I was wondering how I would have dealt with it. I remember times where I was down on myself and didn't ask anyone to dance at a club, but with the "odds" like they were how could you not try.

We got sick of that place and decided to hit a club that had a bigger crowd. This next place was a more established club... basically the local meat market. They have a number of different rooms featuring different music in each, which I appreciate. We opted for the place playing the 80s stuff although I am up for newer "good" music.

The guys here were the exact opposite of the first place. Pushy scumbags trying to find someone to get laid with before the night is over. There were some hook ups that truly show that beer goggles do exist. What killed me was a conversation I overheard in the mens room.

"Did you check out the rack on that chick?"
"Ya, but dude..."
"So what man, I am getting some of that"

These guys were totally trashed. One of them just about knocked me over on his way out of the restroom.

I don't ever remember being like this. I remember meeting women at a bar and later regretting it, but my intension was never to just "get some of that". Actually there was only 1 woman that I dated that I met for the first time at a bar. She was the dental hygenist nazi. She would make a comment about my drinking iced tea. I also re-met my now ex-wife at a club, but technically we met in high school. Still... regrets. Anyway I've gotten off track.

The contrast between the 2 bars was quite amazing. Does being in a more crowded environment make you more pushy? Are women there for one thing as well, just to "hook up"?

I think the only times I really enjoyed myself at a club was when I was there in a group of friends, men and women. The only pressure then was if I should ask the girl that I had a crush on to dance.

What a disjointed post this has become. UGH, someone take my keyboard away from me.

5 comments:

Grace said...

Firstly, I'm totally disappointed that you didn't mention this lady that you're dating to us. I mean, come on Jon... we're like family! :P

Now, regarding the clubs, I find that people go crazy in clubs no matter how crowded they are... and alcohol obviously plays a large role in that. I personally prefer more crowded places, seeing that I'm not one to get up and dance all by my lonesome.

terry said...

yeah, this is why i never even pay attention to the boys that might be present in any bar/club i go to. there's just no point.

Jon said...

After fucking things up with my life so bad last year I am being a little hush hush. I don't know what to think of it yet. Maybe I should have a clue, but I don't.

Anonymous said...

"I would have loved to have been there without a date. The vast majority of the women there were very hot."
LOL

I hope she doesn't see that!

Jon said...

It's ok, we were all talking about how great the girl/guy ratio was. She's cool and didn't care