Thursday, May 26, 2005

Back to work

The day after my face to face interview I got a call from the manager asking me to be available the next morning (last Friday) for a phone interview with one of their guys in Fort Collins, CO. He was not available for the face to face interview and they wanted him to talk to me as well.

Chantel was over with her youngest son. I had to take the call in my room so I wouldn't be disturbed. The new guy asked a lot of technical "How would I do this" type questions. Some of the questions were an attempt to see if I knew enough about the tools. Some were to see how I have used the tools in the past. He asked a lot of questions that had multiple answers, so I had to redirect things to find out what he was really after. He stumped me on a couple things I hadn't run into in the 9 years I have been administering this tool. I know I blew answering a couple of the questions to his liking due to the multiple answers. After it was done I felt like it was a good interview, but not that I had it in the bag.

A couple hours passed and I received a call from their recruiting guy asking me for my salary requirements. It sounded as if I should have given him a higher number (DAMN IT!). An hour later the manager was calling to offer me the job. He said he was going to try to get me to start as soon as possible, but he wasn't sure it would be any sooner than June 1st. I was notified today that I start on May 31st.

This is going to be a challenging position since we are replicating our data to 4 or 5 different sites, a few being in Europe, China and India. I am excited.

5 comments:

AVA said...

Congratulations Jon!! sounds very interesting. Enjoy your last days off and get some rest...

Jon said...

Thanks Ava!

Rest? What is that?

SunGrooveTheory said...

Congrats! and Good luck :D

(wandered in from 'Potty Thoughts')

AVA said...

Jon, We'd love to have you as a Potty Thoughts contributor, send your e-mail to avatoxic@gmail.com so I can send the invitation.

bigwhitehat said...

It seems we both work in the semiconductor buisiness. I hope you like the new job. If it doesn't work out, would you move to Texas? We are really ramping up down here. Positions come up periodically.