Saturday, November 10, 2007

My son, the drummer

Stacy let loose all the pride that she has over her son. I started telling her about my son, and realized I was just gushing on about him to the point that it was really my own post. So I decided to put it here instead.

Kevin, My oldest, who turns 15 in a couple weeks, was interested in playing drums back in 6th grade. His mom and I were against him playing drums. I tried and failed to get him to follow in my footsteps and play trombone. I didn't push very hard. He decided on trumpet, which I knew was going to be a decision he might regret. Trumpet and drums are the 2 most popular. He was not the best trumpet player, but he was far from worst. We never had him take private lessons. We should have.

He asked again to play drums a little over a year ago. My ex and I decided then that it would be okay, but knew his teacher wouldn't let him play in the band as there were already WAY too many "drummers" in the band His middle school was way over populated. But she did encourage him, which I appreciated. We started him in lessons. My ex-mother-in-law bought him a drum kit (which stays at my ex's house). He did very well in his first year of lessons. I sat in on a lesson one day. I was absolutely amazed how well he played.

My son has a few friends that formed a little garage band. They knew Kevin took lessons, but never heard him play. Kevin's drummer friend let him play on a couple songs. They were amazed at how good he was considering he's never played drums in a band. Kev isn't joining their band. Who needs 2 drummers (besides .38 Special)? But it got him really excited that he could play with others his own age.

Kevin took time off from the lessons due to baseball and vacations in the spring and summer, but is back at it. His drum instructor decided to move to a new location, just a couple miles away (WOOHOO! No having to cart him half way across town at rush hour).

His grades are excellent (not straight As, but damn close), he is athletic, a musician, and is in general a really great kid. What more can a parent ask?

Here he is in his Halloween costume.



Oh, and he has a truly great personality and sense of humor.

YEAH KEVIN!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't parenting fab?

jillie said...

OMG....that costume! What a great son you have. My brother played the drums at an early age. He put on the headphones, put on a few Led Zeppelin albums and learned via John Bonham. I tried the trumpet, hated it! My brother use to play trombone and asked me to open the "valve" little did I realize it was a spit valve. Never fell for that one again!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

CozyMama said...

great costume.................................no more teasing - the post is up.

Grace said...

I love the costume! He sounds like a really great kid... he must love that you're so proud of him :)

jillie said...

Good morning JON!

Anonymous said...

LOL SO CUTE WHEN YOU BRAG! ;)