Monday, July 09, 2007

Unpopular Music Favorites Meme

After that last meme it made me wonder if I was the only one that had a lot of unpopular music in my past. What are you all hiding in your musical past. I would like to hear from you, and possibly be influenced by you to check out some new music.

Pick 5 groups that you love that you think that most people have never heard of. Hit me with your best shots. I am going to try to find YouTube links for all of these. You don't need to, but if you can possibly manage the time...

I am going to have a hard time limiting this to five, but here it goes.

The Producers - No, they had nothing to do with the Mel Brooks movie or play... or movie. They had a few albums back in the 80s, and I caught them live twice. You older folks that watched MTV in the early days may remember this one.Their energy was incredible. They were a very friendly bunch of guys.



Split Enz - One of the more popular, yet never heard of bands I listen to. I still have some of their songs in my playlists. These guys were weird, but they created some amazing music. They started out in the early 70s, but never "made it big" here in the states until 1980 with this song. A few of the member of this bizarre group later formed Crowded house. If you haven't heard of them you should be ashamed. In doing some research for this post I learned that Crowded House just released a new record. I must find it!



Material Issue - In the early 90s my tastes were way into what was called Power Pop. I was finding next to nothing that I like in the mainstream. My best friend in high school turned me on to these guys. I hadn't seen the video until looking for it today. What a bunch of young kids. But they had a lot of great songs in a short period of time. Unfortunately the band fizzled when grunge came into the mainstream. The lead singer/song writer committed suicide about a year later.



Jellyfish - I've raved about these guys before. This is yet another bizarre group which had influences from 60s, 70s and 80 music. Jellyfish remains one of my favorite bands of all time. Their songs are very complex and fun. They would put on excellent live shows. They only lasted through 2 records. Maybe it was all the weird costumes.



Gary Myrick & The Figures - Another band that I learned about through my brother. I was borderline obsessive about listening to these guys. Every cassette I compiled back in the 80s would always contain a couple of their songs. In 1980 they seemed to be destined for greatness (in my opinion), but the band disappeared faster than they appeared. The band had 2 songs in the movie Valley Girl, and he had a solo record that got him a hit with "Guitar, Talk, Love & Drums". He was also a member of the band Havana 3AM back in 1991. I have enjoyed his music over the years, but none seemed to equal what I heard from his work with The Figures.



I hope you enjoyed them all

8 comments:

jillie said...

I love Split Enz! I have a couple of their songs as well as Crowded House on my iPod. There are a FEW strange (to say the least) that I have listened to in the past. People wonder where I came up with these bands. Killer Dwarfs? They were fun to listen to in the 80's. Not too many people know of them. Type O Negative...more goth but I love there song Bloody Kisses. That was a BIG hit in the early 90's.

Fun post and thanks for bringing back some good memories ;o)

terry said...

i believe crowded house just reunited for the live earth concerts...

you could probably find their performance on youtube, or msnbc.

hey now... hey now.. don't dream it's over..

Anonymous said...

lol the only one I really liked there is Jellyfish... ;)

tm said...

hi jon,
i had to take my blog private. if you would like access please email me. address is on my profile page.

tm said...

ooops, forgot to tell you. i have a new name, Evening.

SignGurl said...

I've never heard any of these. Very interesting.

Anonymous said...

A new post would be wonderfully exciting

Stealth said...

I love, love, love, Material Issue!! It's an In.ter.na.tion.al POP! Oooo..ver...throw!!!

LOL..

*yay* I am not the only one!